Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

"In the middle of the journey of our life..."

So it begins.

I have wanted to create something like this for a long time, but honestly my faith was always on the back burner.  I was too concerned with life and my job and the prospect of making money to focus on my spirituality and to go deeper than simply believing in a Goddess and a God.

To provide you, my soon to be faithful readers (you'll learn that I assume a lot), a little background I must first state that I was raised in a pretty laid back household.  My parents considered themselves baptists but the only time we attended church was when I was young, about seven or eight, and asked my parents to take me.  They did so happily a couple of times and then they missed having their Sunday morning and afternoons back, so after a few short visits we stopped attending church. 

I suppose I was curious more than anything.  I was intrigued by the idea that there were all of these different beliefs and there were many similarities between the people that went to one religion as opposed to another.  As a child I was more focused on playing than spirituality, but when we finally owned a computer with internet access my whole world shifted.  Now I was exposed to new ideas and philosophy at the ripe young age of 13 years and I wanted to know everything.  I had a taste for knowledge but hated school because I didn't get to learn about the things I wanted to learn about.  I started researching "real witches" after watching a rerun episode of Bewitched and from there I found Wicca.

I was hooked pretty quickly and after finally finding a path that met my own beliefs and curiosities I told my parents.  Neither of them were thrilled, but they both allowed me to continue my research, probably thinking it would be a fad.  I continued learning about it, making my own Book of Shadows out of a green folder because every young student has plenty of them around.  My mind opened up to the wonders of mythology, archeology, history and even physics. 

I associated myself with a Goddess and a God and called myself eclectic, but I didn't chose any patron deities because part of me knew that I wasn't ready for the commitment.  I moved on from there, never really performing spells or rituals and instead forming a relationship with The Goddess.  Sadly, part of this also meant that I ignored The God quite a bit, but I still felt that he was there working with The Goddess.

A lot has changed in my life to get me to where I am today.  As we continue I am sure you will learn a lot more about my past and where I am today.  Friday evening I will be attending a Winter Solstice celebration.  This will not only be my first time celebrating a Sabbat but it will also be my first time celebrating a Sabbat with a group of like-minded individuals.  This event is held through my local Unitarian Universalist church and, to my surprise, they also have a welcoming Earth Spirituality group that I plan on joining if all goes well.

This blog is meant to help me explore my spirituality and get more interactive than simply writing in a journal.  Also, part of this process will help me continue my bardic training with The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids.  I am full of excitement at the prospect of what the future holds and where my path my lead me.  But I know that I am never alone and I hope to share what I learn with everyone equally so that enlightenment is available for anyone who dares seek it.

No comments:

Post a Comment