Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Magical Names

Many people involved with Paganism take on a magical name.  It is fairly common actually, especially considering the religious intolerance that is still prevalent throughout the "land of equality."  Most people are in the Broom Closet, choosing not to tell friends, family and coworkers the full information about their religious and spiritual practices for whatever reason.  Also, in the cyber world where we are connected to potentially millions of strangers, it makes sense to protect oneself with anonymity.  We've all heard the horror stories of giving out too much personal information.

In this post I will share with you some of my previous magical names and why I am now identifying myself with the myth of Miach.

  • White Tiger Wizard.  Thinking back on it now it seems more likely that I were a member of the KKK because of the "white" and "wizard" in the name, but I assure you that is very far from the truth.  I have always been interested in and had an affinity for Tigers.  White Bengal Tigers also were of interest because of the purity of their color and markings.  The dichotomy of black and white said a lot to me as a young adult.  This was the first name I associated myself with on forums and internet chat rooms, back when parents didn't know anything about computers and when Onelist was the best email list service around (it later was purchased by yahoo, which became yahoo groups).
  • White Tiger.  After learning a little bit, the Wizard at the end seemed unnecessary.  After all, I was still learning.  It made no sense to call myself a Wizard right away.  I also played with WhiteTiger just to avoid the extra keystroke.
  • EagleWolf.  This was the magical name that I cared for almost ten years.  After connecting more to The Goddess (and to a lesser extent The God) spiritually, I felt like I needed a more serious name.  I've always loved Wolves and felt my totem animals were the Eagle and the Wolf, so I simply combined the two.  I also liked that people assumed I was a female because of this name, which helped the anonymity factor.  What 16 year old boy would identify himself as EagleWolf in high school in any era?
  • Miach.  It is a name I took recently.  In fact, it was less than a month ago that I decided on it.  With the next shift of spirituality and the willingness to finally explore the Pagan world, it made sense to give in to my Celtic leanings and find a name that resonated with me.  Now, I'm not going to tell you the mythology of the name because I'd like you to do some research, but don't pay too much into the mythology.  To be honest, I liked the name and the pronunciation (mee-ak).
What do you think?  Did I have some crazy magical names?  Tell me your magical names and why they have meaning to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment