Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Pagan Blog Project - F is for Freedom of Religion

I am lucky enough to say that I have never been discriminated against because of my religious beliefs. The problem with that statement is that in a round-about way I have, because most times I do not feel comfortable discussing my spirituality with people who I know do not share a like mind.  Other religions proudly proselytize and go door to door, roaming the streets of our cities in an effort to "save" someone or bring them over to their way of thinking. As annoying as that is, I can't specifically say that it is wrong or right except in terms of my own faith, where it would be unnecessary to say the least.

There are legal cases all over the United States right now, many of them due to the perceived idea that one religion is being favored over another, and more often than not those lawsuits have merit. Our founding fathers, wanting to escape religious persecution, came to the United States (we'll have to save their deeds to the Native Americas for another day, but don't think I don't know what they did) to establish their own colonies where people could practice what they wanted to believe without reprisal. In America, there is an assumption that every religion is respected but ask any Muslim or Sikh, or even any Pagan, and you will quickly realize that is not a completely accurate statement.
It is my belief that prayer in schools would be detrimental to the learning environment but there are others that disagree. My opinion is that all religions are valid to the persons following them and as such, all religions should be respected. With that being said, I don't agree that one religion should be able to be pushed onto others more than any other religious belief system, let alone the rights of an individual infringed upon because of said religious beliefs.

Religion is a touchy subject in America, mostly because the Christians claim that they are being persecuted against for being Christian while those in minority religions blame Christianity for the very same thing. I can't speak to those statements except to say that I have seen discrimination on both sides and towards every religious faith - whether it be in online videos, blog posts, discussion groups at my local library, or even from my parent's living room during the newscast. 

The way I see it, we achieve a positive view of our religion by acting in according to our principles and ensuring that others receive fair treatment. Instead of criticizing Christianity for all of its wrongs to us, let's start interfaith dialogue and work to encourage leaders within that faith to recognize that although we have many differences, we all want to live happy and healthy lives while praying to whichever deity/deities we believe in (or do not believe in).

Click here to determine if your religious freedom is being infringed upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment