Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Spell Sharing is Caring?

The exchange of information is so easy to come by these days. Rituals and spells can be shared on blogs, Facebook groups, Pinterest posts, or even by handing out spell ingredients with instructions neatly printed on a 3x5 index card. Pagans are frequently approached by individuals looking for information on spell casting. In this post I will be discussing the sharing of spells, whether they're effective, and whether it is even ethical to do so.

Let's cover the toughest aspect of this first, shall we? Ethics have a place in every major religion and Paganism is no different. While there are various traditions, each with their own view of right, wrong, and somewhere in between, for the most part we tend to agree on the major points. I see no problem in sharing spells with other people provided they are able to understand the purpose of the spell and what it means. Real witchcraft isn't like the televised version, as much as some of us might like it to be. Spells seldom work instantaneously and there is more involved than a rhyming couplet and uttering the words "so more it be."

My view of spells is that they should only be cast as a last resort, and even then, we are still responsible for contributing to the outcome. I can cast a spell to help me find a job left, right, and sideways (I'm pretty sure I could do it...) but it won't be effective if I'm not filling out job applications. The same thing with other types of spells; simply wanting something and casting a spell for it won't guarantee we'll get our desired outcome if we don't put in the effort to see the spell through. So yes, I think sharing spells is ethical, so long as the person(s) we're giving them to understands the purpose, the possible consequences, and that the spell alone is usually not enough to get us what we want. That may be a pretty controversial point of view but I have it nonetheless.

Let's next cover whether or not shared spells are effective. I suppose they can be. I don't cast a lot of spells and when I do so, I try to write my own words and utilize my own intent to focus on my goals. I just feel that spells are more effective when they come from the heart and that means we have to put as much of ourselves into them as possible. If you pick up a Wicca 101 book you'll likely find spells galore. The authors don't put them in just as filler - they intend for the spells to be performed and believe that a similar outcome will occur for whomever chooses to cast them. I can't claim otherwise. Writing is difficult for some people, let alone trying to make something rhyme. In those cases the spell could be more effective for the person than if they tried to whip up something on their own. It's all perspective.

All of this brings us to whether or not it's possible to share spells. Of course it is. Is it ethical? So long as the person understands what they're getting themselves into, sure. Should we do it? Not necessarily.

I think we should provide a greater emphasis on teaching people to create their own spells rather than relying on purchasing spell books and scouring the internet. We should put an emphasis on learning and educating ourselves on correspondences, moon phases, and all of the other things that make up the creation of a spell. It's far too easy to ask people to give us the answer when a lot of the time we'd be better off doing our own research and figuring out the answer on our own. I'm not suggesting we don't help people with questions or those in need, but I am suggesting we let people develop their own practice by what they believe and not by what all of us tell them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment