Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Pagan Blog Project - C is Still for Centering



Surprise!

Ya'll thought we were done with centering? No way, Jose! There is so much to say on this subject that I wanted to give you more of my insights. In my previous PBP post I gave you a little bit of information, a breathing technique for centering, and an embedded youtube video featuring the amazing Phyllis Currott. In this post I want to combine two topics: centering (of course...) and crystals.

The crystal kingdom is full of beneficial resources for everything from grounding to enhancing dreams. What some people may not realize, either because they aren't familiar with the energies of crystals or because they haven't found an interest in them, is that crystals are also a pretty useful tool when it comes to centering oneself. For those of you that are able to afford them, you could even go so far as purchasing crystal singing bowls to help you with this process. Sound is also helpful but there is a fine balance between soothing sound and distracting noise.


One of the most common crystals, clear quartz, can be used by holding it your hands and gazing into the facets. There are times when the transparency of clear quartz helps me focus on doing the same to my mind. I think the act of focusing on something else is a great way for us to train our minds to quiet down, especially when our mundane lives are filled with due dates, deadlines, and co-workers.

I also find that calcite, specifically the blue and green varieties, are effective. While they have other uses, one of their best qualities in my mind is their ability to calm me. This is very useful in meditation and other avenues where we want ourselves relaxed and calm. Calcite is also, in my experience, useful for helping with stabilizing emotions. Calcite is useable on most of the chakras, but specifically the heart and throat chakras, in my experience.

Lastly, I want to mention Amethyst. It's association with meditation, the third eye, and soothing energies are all pretty well known. It is best used in it's tumbled form for this purpose but you may use whatever you have available. Amethyst's energies lend well to helping us gain mental focus.

The purpose of these crystals is not to excite us, to fill us with energy or passion, but to aid us in calming our minds and bodies down enough that we can center ourselves and our own energies. Just as crystals are useful in centering, so too can be burning incense or lighting a candle. I suggest that you experiment with each method until you find a couple solutions that work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment