Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pagan Blog Project - C is for Centering

Grounding and Centering. It's one of those things found in nearly every Wicca 101 book. It is also a very useful practice, especially when preparing the body and mind for ritual, spell, or energy work. The purpose of this post is going to be on centering. I might cover grounding in a later post if it is something that people are interested in.

Centering is most easily explained as a method in which to quiet the mind and body. Grounding is all about energy while centering is about calming in preparation of ritual activity. As an insomnia suffer, there are times when I will even center myself prior to bed in an attempt to help me fall asleep faster. It doesn't always work but I am able to notice a difference in my demeanor at the very least.

There are a dozen or so methods of centering. There is one method in a linked video at the end of this post that you should check out. I have used that method before but I have found an easier way to do it and I would like to share it with you. As always, each of us are different people and some of us are on different paths. What works for me may not work for you and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I think almost anyone will be able to use this method.

Are you ready? Okay, here it is. My tip is to breathe. Just breathe in and out with your body's normal rhythm; there is no need to force yourself to stretch out breaths uncomfortably or breathe so rapidly that you become on the verge of hyperventilating. Focus on your breath as it goes in and out. It is just that simple, folks.

This is essentially Mindfulness Meditation, a technique that I have been using to try to help me with my anxiety. I find it powerful that I can utilize the same technique for a variety of applications, both mundane and spiritual. This is something that you can perform all on your own and without the use of crystals, incense, chants, or even having to find a spot to sit down. I have even gone into restrooms at department stores to perform this technique, at times going even further to perform shielding (a technique of energetic protection using energy and visualization).

Centering is like giving yourself a jolt of focus; it can be done quickly while waiting for a bus or even on a lunch break. Some ground and center prior to daily devotionals. If you attempt this technique please let me know how it works for you. And, of course, if it makes you feel more witchy to have incense burning and an oversized rose quartz wand in your hand, go for it.








2 comments:

  1. Funny that I should read this today. For the last several weeks I have become something of an insomniac, very unusual for me. Suddenly as soon as it is time to lay down for the night I have become increasingly paranoid of... I don't know what. I never thought about using this technique as a way to help myself get to sleep. Thank you for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I hope the technique works out for you! For me it is all about calming myself down to the point where I am relaxed enough to fall asleep.

      Delete