Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Pagan Blog Project - D is for Depression

I suffer from major depressive disorder. At times it has been so bad that I have needed inpatient treatment. There is no shame in asking for help and making sure that you're in an environment where it isn't possible for you to harm yourself. I have survived a suicide attempt and know the benefit of psychiatric hospitals and caring staff. This post is going to be honest because otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point.

I have had days where it is near impossible to get out of bed. Sometimes I still encounter days like that. Through medication, therapy, and a positive outlook, I attempt to regain day to day control of my life. I try to embrace the diagnosis and take control so that I do not always suffer at the hands of depression. It is usually easier said than done.

The first thing I want to get across is that I am not less than because I suffer from a mental illness. I am not someone to be ignored, nor am I someone to be pitied. It can be difficult to live with depression, but even more so when attempting to live a spiritual life. To say that there are times I don't feel like meditating, reading up on Celtic Mythology, and celebrating an esbat, is an understatement if epic proportions.

It is okay. I know that deity understands the challenges I face and that I am not any less of a Pagan because of it. Some people deal with alcoholism, adultery, heart conditions, poor time management, and a variety of other issues in their lives. We are all Pagan if were hold the God and Goddess (sometimes both, other times one and not the other) in our hearts.

There is also a benefit to being Pagan and dealing with depression. We learn at an early stage in our metaphysical development that we can effect change through magic. While healing depression with magic is about as impossible as turning back time with the snap of two fingers, there are some beneficial things we can do. I would like to list some of these options now.


- Black Tourmaline has been exceptionally useful in my personal practice. I carry a tumbled stone with me wherever I go. I also like to hold my large piece of black tourmaline and imagine my depression symptoms being pulled into it.

- I like creating incense. I especially like the Happiness Incense recipe that I created. It seems to work for me, probably because I spend a lot of time giving it that association in my mind. Now, whenever I burn some happiness incense there is a connection between the incense and an uplifted attitude. It may be too simple to say it works because I say it works, but let's be honest here - a lot of magic works because we say it works. Just mix one part marjoram, one part lavender, and one part catnip. Burn on a charcoal disc and let the smoke carry your troubles away, my friend.

- Speaking to the God and Goddess is also useful. If I am experiencing a difficult time I will simply talk to them as though I am having a conversation with them. I do this when I am alone, of course, or people will really think I'm losing my mind.

Depression affects 1 in 10 Americans. If you are experiencing a period of depression that has lasted for at least two weeks, please seek assistance from a licensed medical professional. For some people therapy alone can effectively treat it. Others will require medication, or a combination of medication, therapy, and other treatments.

2 comments:

  1. Major respect to you for writing this. I also have depression, as part of a package deal of neurological shenanigans. It's always helpful to read about how other people deal with it - and thank you for reminding me to look for my black tourmaline, which has been lost since I moved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I'm glad to have been able to remind you about black tourmaline - it is certainly one that I feel could benefit almost everyone. It isn't always easy discussing mental illness but part of the stigma decreases when we let it all out for all to see, so that was my goal.

      Delete