Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Daily Devotional - A Small Rite

I don't usually light a candle when performing my morning and evening daily devotionals. I occasionally burn incense, though more frequently at night to remove any stray gunk that I have accumulated throughout the day.

I have a confession to make: I missed one of my devotionals yesterday. I felt like I needed a big gesture to get started back up again. It wasn't a requirement from Deity; it was my way of apologizing to God and Goddess for my lapse and returning to the process with renewed vigor. Now complete, I can easily say it was a good decision and that I'm glad I followed through with it.



I added the representations of the Elements this time around since I am beginning to approach them in Anni's Season of the Seeker program. A river rock for Earth, incense for Air, a tealight candle for Fire, and a container of Water - it needn't be more complicated than that. As a result of my adding these bits, the rite felt more complete and what I had previously viewed as a shrine had become a full-fledged altar.

Is it me or does my Lugh statuary seem extra happy today? He is holding a point of natural citrine and tumbled sunstone.



Even Danu seemed interested in the festivities this morning, as I could feel her presence. Here is Danu's statue, which many of you have likely seen on this blog before. Her offering bowl has a clear quartz point and a piece of tumbled moonstone.



If you're interested in starting a daily devotional practice, the easiest way to begin is to go before your altar and speak to Them. Heck, do it from your bed after you first wake up in the morning and prior to falling asleep - where doesn't matter so long as you get something out of the process (not material items but hopefully some form of spiritual growth).

No comments:

Post a Comment