Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Devotional Incense Cones

I've been reworking my morning and evening devotional rites and wanted to get some incense that would better set the mood and experience, as well as be able to be used as an offering to the Gods. An incense stick would take too much time to burn for this process while loose incense would require heating a charcoal disc or setting up a Makko trail. What's a guy to do? Make your own!

I opted to make incense cones with a small amount of herbs that I have on hand. I've turned up my heater a few extra degrees in the hope that it will help to shorten the drying time. Since I haven't made this recipe before, I was cautious about going too far by making too much product. Cones seemed like a good option because of their small size and I found the entire process really easy.

I started out by grinding my herbs into a fine powder (I cheated because some of my ingredients were bought in powdered form). Only the rosemary gave me a bit of trouble but I don't think full strands of rosemary will do any harm to the finished product. Once wet with some blessed water specifically for incense making, I set out to knead the dough and them form it into cones. I'm pleased with how they turned out.

I still had a little left over so I opted to try a large and small cylinder shape to help me gauge which size will best work. 

The hardest part in this process is waiting for the drying time, which I estimate to take about two full weeks. If they dry sooner then I'll consider it good luck and get to experimenting. I'll post an update and let you know how they turn out. If they work for my needs and the scent is pleasant then I will share the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment