Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

An Unexpected Surprise

I wanted the Shapeshifter Tarot deck ever since it came out all those years ago. I was a teenager and not working, and my parents weren't exactly supportive of my studying Wicca. I gave them a Christmas list one year with a couple of Scott Cunningham books, a list of candles in assorted colors, a few ritual tools, and a meditation CD I was interested in. I was told in not so many words that there was no chance of me getting any of those items, and yet they didn't specifically tell me I had to give up my studies for fear I would rebel and grow my hair long.

Finally getting my hands on them a few years ago was like a dream come true. I instantly was amazed by the accuracy of the deck, and the images tie perfectly into Celtic Shapeshifting and the meanings of the cards; I was hooked. It never occurred to me to look to the cards for answers to the path I was going to take (Celtic Wicca). I had the cards for some time and I knew that there were cards representing different Celtic deities, but it never occurred to me to pull out the cards for Lugh and Danu and take a look. At least, not until now.

Danu is presented as The Goddess of Earth, though I think that association is more correct in reference to Anu. Some would say that they are one and the same but I would question that, though I admit that I still have a long way to go in terms of research and correlating the mythologies of all the different Celtic peoples (mostly the Irish and Welsh). 

Think of this card as the King of Pentacles as that is what the card would be in the standard tarot deck system. The keywords are "fruitfulness, networking, relationships, and family history." 

Lugh is presented as The God of Fire. Another possible inconsistency arises here since most of my research points to him being a skilled warrior and magician, as well as a God of Light and of Harvest. 

In a typical deck, this card would be the Queen of Swords. Keywords include "power, authority, and wise counsel."

The confusion seems to occur when different but similar cultural mythologies are smashed together, especially uniting the stories of the Irish and Welsh. It then becomes incredibly challenging to differentiate between the two, especially after some time has past. We all do the best we can and I don't doubt that for some Lugh would resonate more with them as a Sun God than a Light God. Is it semantics between the two or are there profound differences? I see similarities, of course.

Although I was leading you in a round-about way, the point of this post is to remind you to look for imagery wherever you can find it. I am blessed to have a statue to represent both Lugh and Danu, but these cards could serve equally in the same capacity. 

Other deities and heroes/heroines included in this deck: Cliodna, Taliesin, Gwydion, Arianrhod, Angus Mac Og, Belenus, Bridget, Nimue, Cerridwen, Manannan mac Llyr, Branwen, Tarvos, Medb, and Cernunnos.




No comments:

Post a Comment