Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Daily Devotionals - What I've Learned So Far

I have always talked to deity, but rarely did I make a daily rite out of it. In fact, think of my speaking to deity as being almost identical to a Christian praying because, truth be told, it is. It has been effective enough but lately I've been longing for more. 

For about a week now I have been doing a morning and evening devotional, communing with Lugh and Danu for a few minutes each time. The experience isn't magical all on its own though - personal transformation comes with setting aside a specific (or even general if that is what you can muster right now) time to commune with God and Goddess.

Then you have to do it. Every day.

That has been the most difficult part for me, especially since I wake up and go to sleep at sporadic times. I've actually reminded myself by looking at my altar which stirs the memory from somewhere inside my likely cobwebbed brain. In those instances I force myself to do it right then, pausing the rest of my life for a moment or two. It's no different from what we do when we cast a circle and separate ourselves from the mundane hustle and bustle.

Devotionals are meant to help you connect to deity and I have experienced that connection becoming stronger. I read recently that Danu isn't an overpowering Goddess when she forms a connection with someone and I can attest to that. She is laid back and serene, communing with me in the time and place I set aside. Lugh is similar, though his energy is more prevalently felt throughout the day after the Devotionals are performed. Don't get me wrong, Danu is with me too, but she takes a different approach to my patron deity.

Establishing a daily devotional is simple, it's sticking to it that is the most difficult. But the rewards from connecting to God and Goddess more than make up for waking up ten minutes early before work, or putting off that DVR'd television show. As with most things in Wicca, it is what you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment