Fides quaerens intellectum

Irish Polytheism from my point of view.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Pagan Blog Project - H is for Happiness

Wikipedia defined "happiness" as:


Merriam-Webster describes "happy" as:

Now that definitions are out of the way, I can tell you about happiness. If you've read my previous blog posts you'll know that I disclosed my battles with major depression and anxiety. Happiness for someone with my health history is different than it is for a person with a steady job, a healthy family, and an upcoming vacation. It's also important to point out that happiness is relative - what I feel is happiness might be closer to your definition of giddy. 

Why am I going into all this, you ask? Why am I not talking about Paganism or spirituality? I'll get there in a moment. Before I reveal some of the things I use to combat my unhappiness, I wanted to clarify what happiness is and that each of us will find ourselves there at different times through different circumstances. Some of the following may not work for you and that's fine because we're all different people. 

I'm also splitting this up into two posts because, quite honestly, I can't figure out anything else I want to write about for part two. Lucky you, huh? Yes, you are lucky (thinking it doesn't make it untrue...).

The best way I have found to ease the symptoms of my depression, aside from prescription medications and excellent medical providers, is my patented (it's not really patented) Happiness Incense. It's a mixture of herbs with a lot of intent behind it - intent focused on breaking through the negative thoughts and gunk to bring light through, like a lighthouse breaking through the fog. It's best burned as loose incense on a charcoal or bamboo disc but you're welcome to turn it into pellets or cones. You also have my permission (as if you need it) to modify the recipe for substitutions or herbs you think might work better. 

The Recipe:
2 parts lavender
1 part marjoram
1 part catnip

Grind ingredients together in a mortar and pestle and then burn as previously described. The floral aroma from the lavender quickly makes me feel uplifted, and the sweetness of the catnip and marjoram add to the experience. It won't pull me out of a depressive episode but it will help me get some relief from the blues caused by self-doubt and snide comments. Give it a try.

-MR

Disclaimer: Do not ingest any herbs without first speaking to a medical professional. The advice I give is not meant to be taken as medical advice. The incense recipe in this post is meant to be a supplement only and may or may not be merely for entertainment purposes, despite my claims otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment